Chronological of Shrine Basilica
The narration of apparitions of our lady of Good Health dawned in the 16th century.
Vailankanni which had been a sub – station of Nagapattinam parish, was bifurcated from Nagapattinam and raised to the status of a Parish in September 1771.
The majestic Shrine facing the east, was extended twice in 1920 and 1933 and the tiled roof was converted in to concrete in 1981.
His Holiness Pope John the XXIII elevated the Shrine to the status of Basilica on the 3rd of November 1962. The apparitions of Our Lady, the miraculous statue of Our Lady, the countless miracles, the magnificent architecture and the beauty of the Shrine, were the motives for the Shrine to become a Minor Basilica.
“The world day of the Sick” was celebrated in the Shrine Basilica in the year 2002.
Vailankanni was declared the ‘Lourdes of the East’ by His Holiness Pope John Paul II in 2002.
The new chapel in memory of the first apparition of Our Lady to the milk boy, was raised in 1982.
The chapel in memory of the second apparition of Our Lady to the butter – milk vendor lame boy was put up in 2002.
The church of Adoration & Reconciliation which is on the southern side of the Shrine Basilica, houses in the front to make confession and in the rear for adoration to the Blessed Sacrament from 06.00 a.m. to 06.00 p.m. every day. It was built in commemoration of ‘The World Day of the Sick’.
A chapel is proposed to be put up in the sea in memory of Our Lady saving the Portuguese sailors from tempest in the Bay of Bengal.