The narration of apparitions of our lady of Good Health dawned in the 16th century.
Vailankanni which had been a sub – station of Nagapattinam parish, was bifurcated from Nagapattinam and raised to the status of a Parish in September 1771.
The majestic Shrine facing the east, was extended twice in 1920 and 1933 and the tiled roof was converted in to concrete in 1981.
His Holiness Pope John the XXIII elevated the Shrine to the status of Basilica on the 3rd of November 1962. The apparitions of Our Lady, the miraculous statue of Our Lady, the countless miracles, the magnificent architecture and the beauty of the Shrine, were the motives for the Shrine to become a Minor Basilica.
"The world day of the Sick" was celebrated in the Shrine Basilica in the year 2002.
Vailankanni was declared the ‘Lourdes of the East’ by His Holiness Pope John Paul II in 2002.
The new chapel in memory of the first apparition of Our Lady to the milk boy, was raised in 1982.
The chapel in memory of the second apparition of Our Lady to the butter – milk vendor lame boy was put up in 2002.
The church of Adoration & Reconciliation which is on the southern side of the Shrine Basilica, houses in the front to make confession and in the rear for adoration to the Blessed Sacrament from 06.00 a.m. to 06.00 p.m. every day. It was built in commemoration of ‘The World Day of the Sick’.
A chapel is proposed to be put up in the sea in memory of Our Lady saving the Portuguese sailors from tempest in the Bay of Bengal.
Chronological List Of Parish Priests
- 1777 Jul - Rev. Fr. Antonio de Rosario, Commissary
- 1779 Sep - Rev. Fr. Luis dos Remedios
- 1783 Jan - Rev. Fr. Antonio de Rosario, Commissary
- 1788 Dec - Rev. Fr. Antonio do Jesus Maria Jose
- 1789 Sep - Rev. Fr. Antonio de Rosario Commissary
- 1792 Sep - Rev. Fr. Jos Roza de Giterbo Commissary & V. F.
- 1814 May - Rev. Fr. Constantine de Jesus Maria Commissary
- 1819 May - Rev. Fr. Thomas de Piedade
- 1822 Feb - Rev. Fr. Francisco Xavier Masearenhas
- 1822 Aug - Rev. Fr. Francisco Das Dores
- 1824 May - Rev. Fr. Felipe de Jesus
- 1825 Sep - Rev. Fr. Francisco Dos Dores
- 1828 Jun - Rev. Fr. Felipe de Jesus
- 1829 May - Rev. Fr. Clemente Das Dores
- 1847 Oct - Rev. Fr. Isidore Manuel Alimao
- 1858 Apl - Rev. Fr. Jose Felis Fernandes AG.PP
- 1863 Nov - Rev. Fr. Felipe Nery Joaquim Dias
- 1876 May - Rev. Fr. Ignacio Antonio d' Andrade
- 1886 Aug - Rev. Fr. Miguel Francisco Fernandes
- 1890 Dec - Rev. Fr. Joaquim Jose Ag. P. Vic. Nagapattinam
- 1891 Feb - Rev. Fr. Cuilherme Jose Dias
- 1892 Dec - Rev. Fr. Joaquim Jose Luis Ag. P. Vic. Nagapattinam
- 1893 Mar - Rev. Fr. Martinho Valeriane de Sa
- 1899 Sep - Rev. Fr. Joaquim Francisco da Fiedade Dias
- 1900 Aug - Rev. Fr. Camilla Fernandes
- 1910 Aug - Rev. Fr. Sebastio Xavier de Noronha
- 1942 Sep - Rev. Fr. M. V. Rodrigues
- 1963 Jun - Rev. Fr. S.Mariasusai
- 1980 Sep - Very Rev. Msgr. Thomas Vaz
- 1982 Sep - Rev. Fr. S.L.Gabriel
- 1990 Dec - Rev. Fr. M.M.Sammanasu, Rector & Parish Priest
- 1997 Jun - Rev. Fr. G.Arul Irudayam, Rector & Parish Priest
- 2003 Jun - Rev. Fr. P.Xavier, Rector
- 2003 Jun - Rev. Fr. F.Antonisamy, Vice-Rector & PP
- 2008 Jun - Rev. Fr. B.Arokiadoss, Vice-Rector & PP
- 2009 Jun - Rev. Fr. A.Michael, Rector
- 2015 Jun - Rev. Fr. A.M.A.Prabakar, Rector